Swipe to the left
Lemon Frozen Custard
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Handful of chopped mint
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat, combine the milk and lemon zest. The milk should have steam coming off of it but not be bubbling.
- Let the mixture sit over the heat for about five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for another five minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks and sugar by whisking them together. Add the mint if you are using it and mix together.
- While the milk/lemon zest mixture is still warm, add about a half cup of the mixture into the egg yolk/sugar mixture and whisk together. Continue to add more of the milk/lemon zest until none in left.
- Transfer the mixture back to the sauce pan and put it over medium low heat. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon, about ten minutes. Don't let it get too hot and don't stop whisking.
- Once it has thickened, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, add the lemon juice and mix together.
- Transfer for use in Sweet Spot.
Recipe adapted from New York Times article.