Hot Cocoa Bomb Molds: Recipe & Instructions
Everyone, please - keep calm and chocolate bomb on, with our new Hot Cocoa Bomb Molds! We've got a thorough recipe and instructions below, but keep in mind - make your chocolate bombs to your specifications! Prefer mint chocolate? Would you rather a fruit and choc combo? Are you only thinking of the marshmallows? The world is your chocolatey oyster; make what sounds good to you, and have fun!
TOOLS & INGREDIENTS
Pastry or basting brush
High-quality semi-sweet chocolate bars (Theo, Lindt)
Hot cocoa mix (homemade or store bought)
Additional fillings - marshmallows, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips
Milk (variety of your choosing)
Step 1. Tempering the Chocolate
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl. Microwave for 25 seconds, then remove and stir thoroughly.
- Continue to heat the chocolate in 15-second intervals, stirring thoroughly in between warming sessions, being sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Ensure the chocolate does not exceed a temperature of 91°F. (You can also accomplish this with a double broiler.)
Please Note: It is imperative that you keep your chocolate between 87°F and 91°F, as this is the ideal temperature for manipulation. If the chocolate becomes too cool or too hot, you can expect streaky results.
Step 2. Preparing the Chocolate Spheres
- Use a spoon or brush to evenly cover the interior of the mold with chocolate. Note: Don’t skimp on the edges or they’ll be extremely fragile.
- Chill in the fridge for several minutes, until hardened, then apply a second coat of chocolate. Note: If you cool your silicone mold in the freezer ahead of time, the chocolate will cool quicker as it is applied, and will allow you to coat the sides easier.
- After the second coat is applied, chill for another 5 minutes, then carefully remove the half-spheres from the mold. Note: It is important that the sides of the molds are covered well, otherwise you will have breakage when putting the spheres together.
- Place the spheres in the cupcake liners or on a plate so they are easily contained.
Step 3. Filling & Assembling Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Either warm a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes, or warm a pan on the stove over low heat.
- Take one half-sphere and briefly touch the edge against the surface of the warm plate or pan to make a smooth edge, just long enough to leave a melted chocolate ring.
- Add 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa mix and a few marshmallows into the sphere.
- Take another half-sphere and very briefly melt the edge of that on the warm plate or pan, then press carefully but firmly to the half-sphere you have filled. Note: Line the edges up as well as you can to minimize the appearance of the seam.
- Decorate the top with your choice of melted chocolate, melted white chocolate, sprinkles, or other toppings.
Step 4: Enjoy!
Once your bombs are complete, drop one into a glass of warm milk; watch as the bomb “explodes” and your hot cocoa comes to life!